Patient files caveat in court over botched surgery

  Written by : Suryaa Desk Updated: Tue, Feb 20, 2018, 04:21 PM

Hyderabad: Tariq Khushroo, the patient who lost his right eye due to a hair transplant procedure by Dr Ishratullah Khan, has filed a caveat in the court demanding that the Medical Council of India not grant a stay on the order of the Telangana Medical Council.

The state council has suspended the registration of Dr Khan after finding him guilty of negligence and barred him from practising for two years. Dr Khan’s Hair Transplant Centre is in Banjara Hills. The TS MCI order has created a furore and Dr Khan is appealing against this order in the court.

Tariq Khushroo underwent the hair transplant procedure in July 2016. Twelve hours after the surgery, he developed swelling in the head and eyes and also had difficulty in moving and eating. He was rushed to a private hospital where the consultant private surgeon found that he had been infected with ‘necrotizing fasciitis’ leading to the destruction and death of the soft tissues in the body. It affected the skin muscles in the scalp, eyes and eyelid region.

Tariq also complained about difficulty in breathing at the time of admission to the hospital. He underwent emergency treatment and they tried to save his right eye but doctors found that the infection would spread to the left eye and had to remove the eyeball.

Dr Ravinder Reddy, chairman of the TS Medical Council said, “The documentation from the private hospital was put before the Medical Council ethics committee and gross negligence by Dr I. Khan has been found. There has been negligence as post-operative complications were not tackled properly. The patient was diabetic and proper precautions were not taken to control blood sugar before the surgery and also the standards for sterilisation of equipment were not followed.”

Opinions from other plastic surgeons and skin specialist had shown that the parameters required for hair grafting and surgery were not carried out as prescribed.

Tariq Khushroo was confined to his home for more than 10 months and lost his job in Saudi Arabia due to the botched surgery.